05 January 2009

meeting weirdos off the internet

Despite the numerous public safety messages about meeting up with strangers in unpopulated, quiet, unlit areas from the internet, that is precisely what I have been doing today. The plan was to meet up with Jumbly and Trio-I called them by their real names today! and have little singlespeed ride around Hope. Mainly because it would be fun but also we were all too frightened to try the 'just one gear' approach on our own or in the company of geared bikes on such big hills.

What we hadn't planned for was the combined faff of 3, a slight diversion at Fairholmes, oh and the small matter of a blanket covering of snow with the odd bit of treacherous ice thrown in too. All of which ended up with the most magical decent back towards Hope. Thick shimmering blue snow and fading sunlight made for the most intense riding I have done in a long time.

I soon forgot that the weirdos I was riding with were strangers. We chatted happily (some more than others!) as we rode and pushed our way around the Dark Peak. The riding is always great there but today it was made better with the fresh dump of snow and great company.

15 comments:

jumbly said...

It was a fab day out. I like your write up better than mine, can I copy your homework next time?

kate said...

why hasn't jonathan posted on mine ;)
maybe he could the external adjudicator of the write ups!

jumbly said...

Maybe Jon has a life outside the internet and isn't online now, it's just us weirdos here now!

trio said...

I'm sure he'll post today for you ;)

Yes you two were rather chatty! But my ears are recovering!

Groover said...

You guys are funny! I thought you were all friends for a long time already.

And you are mad riding in such conditions ... :-)

ultra collie said...

for the 'thickies' amongst us, what is singlespeed?!?
sounds like a cracking day out!!

jumbly said...

singlespeed - bike with just one gear. They're ace!

kate said...

don't laugh groover, we've got our tickets booked for oz ;)

ultra collie said...

ah, the old fashioned ones you mean. like we used to ride when we were kids! ;)

kate said...

exactly-but now it's trendy ;)

trio said...

Although confuses boys ;)

Red Bike said...

Sorry Kate. I've only just seen this blog entry. I would of stayed up to read it if I had known.
(I think i'm slowly becoming a regular reader!)

I have no idea how any of you coped without gears. I can't cope with them.

BTW, I like the matching coats
and I love the snow angel !

kate said...

yay, thanks jon!! i can't believe jumbly wouldn't wear her pink jacket as well, very disappointing ;)

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Kate, when your up in the Gorms and you see a nutter on the tops in his shorts, say hello to Victor!

Have fun!

(if he's got his shirt on you'll know it's cold out!)

kate said...

there's always one ;)